For a long time while living in London I followed and loved the blog Local is Lovely. As well as posting gorgeous recipes Sophie always has great recommendations to new blogs and websites – food as well as living and style. Sophie also is a fabulous ambassador of her local area, Orange. Since reading her blog I have had Orange and its surrounding towns on my must go to list. What better time than F.O.O.D week! Orange F.O.O.D week runs for around 10 days in April and is a massive celebration of the amazing food and produce that comes from Orange and its surrounding area. There are some excellent events as well as loads of great places to explore. Aside from just enjoying the beautiful countryside we enjoyed markets, cafe’s, great shopping and long lunches.
One of the highlights of the weekend was being able to join Sophie at Mandagery Creek Farm for a delicious lunch.
With so many great places to share I think the easiest way is to give you a small list of places we discovered. There are so many more but here were some of my favourites from the weekend.. Next time we’ll definitely need to stay longer.
1. While in Orange we stayed at the de russie suites. Simple and luxurious all at once and the perfect location to wander in and around the town.
2 and 3. The gorgeous produce of the Orange Growers Market. Also where we discovered a couple of excellent providores for the purchase of delicious local produce…
and A slice of orange.
4. The autumn colours of the trees were just divine and something we don’t see that much of in the city. Such a beautiful area.
5. In both Orange and Milthorpe (a very cute village about 20 mins from Orange) we found a couple of very stylish homeware/design stores – Jumbled and Tomolly, both worth a visit.
6,7 and 8. The gorgeous setting for our Farm Kitchen lunch, delicious seared venison fillet with cherry chutney, roast potatoes with porcini and garlic and pear, walnut and beetroot salad. The chandelier inside the Farm Kitchen was an incredible creation of intertwined antlers. It looked so impressive.
9. A new find for me was this biodegradable tableware, Zuperzozial. I love the fun colors!
10. Since posting this simple Ricotta cake from our holidays last year I have been wanting to try it again in my kitchen.. these gorgeous figs from the growers market were the perfect replacement for the peaches. So yummy and sweet!